attorneys > Michael E. Volz
Michael E. Volz, Attorney
Michael E. Volz is an Attorney at Lehrman Beverage Law, PLLC. He joined the firm as a law clerk in 2013 during law school at George Mason University and received his J.D. from there in May 2014.
Michael’s focus is on:
- advising alcohol beverage companies on regulatory and compliance matters
- businesses that operate with an ABC license in the metropolitan D.C. area, including liquor stores, bars, clubs, restaurants, distilleries, breweries, and wineries
- online direct-to-consumer shipment of alcoholic beverages
- state and federal compliance for legal marijuana and cannabis businesses
- local and state excise taxes
- representation before state ABC boards for license violations
- appeals from state ABC board decisions
- state franchise law, including distribution agreements, brand registrations, and brand terminations
- business entity formation
Michael is licensed to practice law in Maryland and Virginia.
During law school, Michael concentrated his studies on local and international law as well as litigation. He spent two years serving on the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court Team and one year working at the Office of the County Attorney in Arlington, Virginia where he argued motions before the General District Court.
Michael also attended George Mason University, earning a Bachelor of Science in Finance and a Minor in Economics in 2009. Immediately after, he worked as a procurement and contracting specialist for The US Agency for International Development, Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Defense both domestically and internationally.
Michael has a longstanding interest in the food and beverage industry. Before his pursuit of legal studies, Michael attended culinary school. He worked at restaurants as both a bartender and chef for over eight years while pursuing his degrees. Michael was a Division I rugby player in college and competed as a mixed-martial arts fighter. His drive for adventure and learning has taken him to over thirty countries.
Michael can be reached at 202-449-3739, ext. 707. His fax number is 202-478-5189. His e-mail address is email@example.com